Monday, April 16, 2007

Dark Eyes

Eyes of ecstacy,
Always haunting me,
Always taunting me
With your mystery!
Tell me tenderly,
You belong to me
For eternity,
Dark eyes, talk to me!
(source)

Dark Eyes or Ochi Chernye is a russian gypsy song that I like : )

Keep reading to find:
. a collection of English translations of the song
. russian lyrics in cyrillic
. russian lyrics written with latin letters
. a link to a website that has the Red Army Choir performance of the song
. a collection of improvisations of the song's theme by various artists on YouTube


****
DARK EYES
(English Words by Jay Arnold)

Two dark dreamy eyes,
Dark as midnight skies,
Full of smoldering fire,
Full of warm desire.

Let me sing to you,
Let me bring to you
All the ecstasy
That our love could be.

Dark Eyes flashing by
While I sit and sigh,
Longing for a glance,
As you lightly dance
To the music gay,
While I hope and pray
That your eyes divine
Soon will gaze in mine!

When the moon is low
When soft breezes blow,
I will hold you tight
In the hush of night;
We will find our love,
While the stars above
Will be shining in your Dark Eyes.


****
Dark Eyes
(English Lyrics by Bernice Manoloff(1935))

Eyes so dark and dear,
Eyes of love and fear,
Beautiful and true ,
I'm in love with you,
Gleaming eyes of love,
As the stars above,
Yop cap-ture my heart,
May we never part,

Your bright eyes so bright ,
Bring cheer to my heart,
How hap-py I feel,
When I see you my dear,
The smile in your eyes,
Turns gray to blue skies,
I wish you were mine,
Sweetheart you're so divine,

****
Чёрные Очи
Евгений Гребенка
(1843)

Очи черные, очи страстные!
Очи жгучие и прекрасные!
Как люблю я вас! Как боюсь я вас!
Знать, увидел вас я в недобрый час!

Ох, недаром вы глубины темней!
Вижу траур в вас по душе моей,
Вижу пламя в вас я победное:
Сожжено на нем сердце бедное.

Но не грустен я, не печален я,
Утешительна мне судьба моя:
Все, что лучшего в жизни бог дал нам,
В жертву отдал я огневым глазам!

****
OCHI CHERNYE
(cyganskaya pesnya/slova E.Grebenki)

Ochi chernye, ochi strastnye!
Ochi zhguchie i prekrasnye!
Kak lyublyu ya vas! Kak boyus' ya vas!
Znat' uvidel vas ya v nedobryi chas!

Oh nedarom vy glubiny temnei!
Vizhu traur v vas po dushe moei,
Vizhu plamya v vas ya pobednoe:
Sozhzheno na nem serdce bednoe.

No ne grusten ya, ne pechalen ya
Uteshitel'na mne sud'ba moya:
Vse, chto luchshego v zhizni bog dal nam,
V zhertvu otdal ya ognennym glazam.

Ne vstrechal by vas, ne stradal by tak,
Vek svoi prozhil by pripevayuchi.
Vy sgubili menya, ochi chernye,
Unesli navek moe schastie.

Bud' tot proklyat chas, kogda vstretil vas,
Ochi chernye, nepokornye!
Ne vidal by vas, ne stradal by tak,
Ya by prozhil zhizn' pripevayuchi.

Chasto snitsya mne v polunochnom sne
I mereshitsya schast'e blizkoe,
A prosnulsya ya - noch' krugom temna,
I zdes' nekomu pozhalet' menya.

****

Ochi chernye (Dark eyes) Red Army Choir (One of the zip files)

****

Solo guitar

Les Yeux Noirs - Dark Eyes - Ochi chornye (guitars)

Dark eyes - Ochi chornye (Béla Zoltán - trumpet)

Vladimir Estrin: "Ochi Chyorniye" ("Dark Eyes") (piano)

Gene Krupa - Dark Eyes (drums)

Hvorostovsky - Ochi Chornyje (Dark Eyes) (singer)

No comments: